Here’s how you should optimize success using the Skip Trace tool:
- Clean up your data file—max. 20 columns, for best results include name (separate first and last names in separate columns), property address city/state/ZIP, and mailing address city/state/ZIP, and save as csv.
- UPDATE: You are now able to search using property address only. In order to do this, edit your template to include these four columns only: Property address, property city, property state, property zip.
- Go to the Skip Trace tab on Sherpa.
- For single skips select "single skip trace" (note: you'll need to add credits to your account to use this feature)
- For batch skip trace (minimum record count of 25), click the “Batch Skip Trace” button.
- Launch uploader.
- Browse and upload the file cleaned up file.
- Confirm that the top row has column names.
- Double-check auto mapping. If something is mis-mapped select the appropriate header from the drop-down menu. Confirm each column.
- Click “Review.”
- Double- (and triple-) check you’ve mapped correctly—if it’s not done right, the data won’t be very accurate.
- You have the option to turn on/off database suppression. Keep this on in order to save money on duplicates so you don't pay twice for the information you already own.
- Review the cost estimate, and approve if you agree—the system will authorize your card for this amount (once the file is done processing, the exact charge amount will go through).
- All skip trace results are final—no refunds.
- Once the Skip Trace is complete, you can export the data file or push through to a Campaign that’s already been created.
Thanks to the way Sherpa’s Skip Trace tool has been developed, you’ll only pay for hits and new data. That is, if you already have data from this file existing in your Sherpa account from a past Skip Trace, you won’t be charged again for a duplicate prospect. As the skip trace uploads, you can see how much money you’re saving.
Tip: You must break out first and last name into separate columns. Remove middle initial, and discard second owner information.
Tip: If your hit rate is low, make sure you’ve formatted your csv. file according to our guidelines and re-upload. You’ll only be charged for the new hits.
To see how we do it, watch this YouTube video.